Friday, May 25, 2012

Steak and Grape - Lunch with a Friend


Steak & Grape – Lunch with a friend

I was 26 years old when I went to work for Betz.  I was hired as the sole pioneer to go after the accounts in the Midway Sunset field by Taft, Fellows and McKittrick.  Troy worked with a team of technical sales guys handling the lucrative Kern River account.  They seemed to have a lot of fun together as I heard them talk on the 2 way radios we used back then.  I was struggling in a remote area with customers that didn’t really like our company much, with products that didn’t perform all the time.  Either the cobalt catalyst in the sodium sulfite didn’t react fast enough to reduce the oxygen in the steam generator feed water or the emulsion breakers couldn’t produce dry oil in the heater treaters like my competitors.  One time a Unocal Foreman told me, as I was starting my oil treatment chemicals, “if your chemical makes my treaters reject, you better be able to eat crude oil and shit dollar bills, God damn it”.  Those old foremen were a tough breed.  And it made me rough around the edges at a time when I should have been mellowing as I raised 2 daughters. 

I got one of them back one day when a demonstration backfired.  I tried to get the water treatment business in one particular plant for years.  I felt I was close and wanted to go in for the kill with a demonstration of my desire to do a good job.  I got a jar of oysters at the store, the big Pacific oysters.  I trimmed one up so that it resembled a round fleshy ball.  I put it in a sample jar with alcohol, but the oyster dissolved.  So I got another one, trimmed it up and put it in a jar of tap water.  I sealed it up and took it out on a Friday to one crotchety old foreman that took my cocktails and lunches for years, but never gave me any business.  I put the jar, with the oyster in it, on his desk and said, “I want your business so bad that I’ll give you my left nut”.  And it really looked like a testicle that was just cut out of a scrotum.   He thought that was the funniest this he ever saw.  He put it up on the window sill behind his desk.  But when I saw him in the field on Monday, he was mad as hell and wanted to kill me.

“What the Hell was that fuckin’ thing you put in that jar?” 

“ I told you it was my left nut”.

“You son-of –a –bitch, it exploded over the weekend and my office smells like shit”.

It was a good thing that the housekeeper cleaned up the mess, because we both ended up getting a good laugh out of it.  Funny thing is that he did award me the account after years of trying.  And the day that I went to the office to tell my manager the good news, he gave me my notice and fired me.  It was not related to the stunt I pulled, we all thought that was great.  “The numbers don’t work out”, he said.  8 weeks later, I was back out at Unocal selling Pall filters.

Troy and I talk and laugh about such stories from our young selling days.  We need to do it more often. 

The new Steak and Grape restaurant on Coffee and Hageman in Bakersfield was a very nice surprise when I met my friend Troy there for lunch today.  The last restaurant in that location was the Basque Café, formerly Maitia’s Basque.  The interior has been tastefully redone with nice carpet in the dining room, which makes it quiet for visiting, unlike so many new restaurants with concrete or tile floors that are so noisy that you can’t even enjoy a conversation. 


I had a rare occasion to meet “Troyski” because I made a wine delivery to him.  Along with my club shipment of Brochelle 2010 Zinfandel, I brought back some extra.  I first discovered Brochelle Zinfandel in 2006 when I was perusing the wine at my favorite wine cellar at Luigi’s.  I read the back of the label which describes Brochelle as… “ tucked away on a steep hillside on the west side of Paso Robles, CA… warm days and cool nights… head pruned and dry farmed vines, produce low yields and intensely flavored fruit… neither fined nor filtered and opens up beautifully when decanted…”

That sounds like how Le Cuvier is made.  I tried it then and found it to be a rare wine that hit me with a “WOW” When I tasted it.  I recommended it to Troy and I remember him telling me it was the best wine he ever had. 


Café Med used to carry it also when their wine selection was more extensive.  Betty and I had the Brochelle 2010 Zinfandel at Valentien Café and Wine Bar recently.  It was $50 at the restaurant, which is a bargain compared to rest of the wine list.  It was the perfect accompaniment to our filet mignon’s that night.  The Brochelle 2010 Zinfandel was the highlight of the meal.  Brochelle also produces a Ridge Top Reserve Zinfandel which is extremely limited and only available to the wine club members – like me.

With our modest transaction out of the way, we ordered lunch at Steak and Grape.  Troy ordered the steak sandwich ($13.95), which was served with lovely sautéed vegetables and a small bunch of grapes.  The steak looked delicious cooked medium rare.  I had the salmon salad ($12.95).  I ordered it with spinach instead of greens.  The salmon was a generous 6 oz portion, pan seared perfectly, almost crispy on the outside and just done in the middle which left it moist and tender.  The spinach was tossed in Champaign vinaigrette and the vegetables were sautéed.  The salad was also topped with artichoke hearts and sliced avocado.   Both the steak sandwich and the salmon salad were large meals that neither of us could finish.  I highly recommend Steak and Grape for lunch and I look forward to a dinner experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment